Saturday, November 17, 2007

Conor and the Crossworlds by Kevin Gerard



Did you design the cover?

Only in my head. It's a real task sitting down with illustrators trying to convey an image that's inhabiting your mind. I looked at seven artists' renderings before finally finding my cover artist.

Did your publisher design the cover?

No, they had nothing to do with it.

Did you get to give any input about the cover design?

I had 100% control.

Is there an interesting story behind the cover design? If so, please share the details.

Actually, there is an interesting story. The name of this mystical creature is Purugama, and he's been flying around in my head for just about forty years. When I was a boy, probably the same age as my protagonist in this first book, I used to lie in bed at night and imagine this very creature landing softly outside my bedroom window. I would climb aboard his strong back and become a great warrior, fighting for good everywhere we traveled. True story.

Who is the cover artist?

His name is Justin Gerbracht and he lives in San Diego County.

Are you happy with the cover?

Are you kidding? Look at that powerful image. When kids see this they can't look away. When I look at it I see exactly what I imagined forty years ago. The great thing about Justin is his fantasy vision. I talked with him once about my idea and he drew a rendering of this cover. I was blown away.

If not, what would you change and why?

Wouldn't change a thing.

Tell us what you think is the best part of the cover.

Purugama is a Champion of the Crossworlds, one of six giant feline protectors of an infinite number of worlds in the system. He looks so powerful and dominant, and yet here he is ferrying a ten year old boy from earth on a mentoring journey. When I look at this cover I think to myself, "what young boy wouldn't want to have Purugama for a friend?"

Is there anything else about your cover that we need to know? Feel free to share.

Wait til you see the cover for Book Two!

Please provide your website link.

http://www.conorandthecrossworlds.com

What is the link to buy your book?

The home page of my website has links to Amazon, B&N and Borders.

No comments: