Sunday, November 25, 2007

Genesis of Man by June Austin


We want you to share your book cover with us. An attractive cover is a big element in the appeal of your book.

We want the details about yours.

Did you design the cover? No

Did your publisher design the cover? No, but he did put me in touch with the designer

Did you get to give any input about the cover design? Yes, I discussed it with both the publishing company and the designer himself.
Is there an interesting story behind the cover design? If so, please share the details.
This is actually the second cover that this book has had. The original was very different - white with Adam and Eve figures standing either side of a cross entwined with 2 serpents. The original cover was intuited through meditation, and although a lot of people did like it, the majority of reviewers and book stores did not, and so it became apparent that I needed to change it. After spending time looking at covers in book stores and discussing with the staff what did and did not work, they all said the same thing - a red or orange cover with a strapline and very simple images. After discussing this with the designer, he came up with three designs, two orange and one blue. The orange ones were both similar to the original, one with a cross and one with an ankh (symbol of life as opposed to death). My publisher and publicist both liked the blue one, but I wasn't sure, so I asked everyone on my mailing list to vote for which one they liked. The overwhelming majority liked the blue, and so the blue one it was !
Who is the cover artist? Clifford Hayes

Are you happy with the cover? I am delighted with it. It gives the book a whole new feel, and a much more academic and professional image and is attracting a different set of buyers - including book stores !

If not, what would you change and why?

Tell us what you think is the best part of the cover - I like all of it - this is quite a religious book (one magazine reviewed it as the opposite to The God Delusion), and blue is the colour of the Virgin Mary, so it may help to bring in more of the religious buyers. I also love the words that are scrolling across the cover in the background - these are all themes in the book and all relevant. The strapline - the answer to life, the universe and everything in between really sums up what the book is about as well, and I love the font.

Is there anything else about your cover that we need to know? Feel free to share.

Please provide your website link.
www.juneaustin.co.uk

What is the link to buy your book?
I have sent both links as I live in the UK, although I guess most of your readers will be in North America !

No comments: