Friday, February 22, 2008

Lightning Days by Colin Harvey


Did you or your publisher design the cover? Did you get to give any input about the cover design?

It wouldn’t be too much of an exaggeration to say that the cover almost designed itself. My publisher and I were talking generally about cover artists, and I had long been a huge fan of
Duncan Long’s (I hadn’t realized for just how long until I looked at the date on the gallery; barely a month after Strange Horizons started, and over seven years ago now…) so when Dindy asked if there was anyone I wanted included in the bidding process, I named him.
When the sample cover turned up – and we hadn’t given any briefing to any of the four artists, just asked for samples of their work – it was spooky; the cover was almost exactly what I’d been visualizing in a very vague sort of way.
So we told Duncan some of the key points of the book, and he changed one of the skulls to a Neanderthal shape, while keeping the other as Homo Sapiens. The star got changed to a portal. OK, so it looks like the wormhole from DS9, but how would you go about representing a rent in the fabric of space-time? Finally, Duncan included some lightning and some James-Bond-type people to represent the hero and heroine, and hey presto! one cover.

Are you happy with the cover?
Very! I forget how much I liked it, until I sat down and looked at it again. That’s the thing about the familiar; it loses its impact until you look at it anew.

Please provide your website link.
What is the link to buy your book?
In paperback:
In electronic format:

Please send me a copy of your cover along with your answers so the blog readers can see your cover and read your thoughts.

Novels from Swimming Kangaroo Books:
Lightning Days -- SF, Finalist for the USA Book News Awards
The Silk Palace -- "compelling" Library Journal
"Intrigues, betrayals, murders, love affairs, transformations, and
revelations," Bruce Boston, author of The Guardener's Tale

No comments: