Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Dancing on the Edge by S L Connors


Did you design the cover?

Yes along with a wonderfully patient friend and fellow author.

Did your publisher design the cover?

No.

Did you get to give any input about the cover design?

Absolutely.

Is there an interesting story behind the cover design? If so, please share the details.

That depends on what you call interesting. Actually, Dancing on the Edge is my debut novel, so I was pretty clueless with the entire publishing thing. I searched high and low for a cover artist. I googled several professional artists and was knocked off my feet at the cost of hiring someone to do cover art. Then a peer and friend suggested an artist and volunteered her services. She did a beautiful design, but it just wasn’t what I’d had in mind nor did it mirror the story. She stated she didn’t have time to start over, so mutually, we opted to end the effort. I found myself on the hunt again with little time left before the release date. Learning a harsh lesson, this time I was clear I wanted samples of ideas before I decided on a cover artist.

Three artists submitted their ideas after I gave them a brief synopsis of the story, a description of my main character, and an idea of the setting.

Who is the cover artist?

Teel James Glenn-artist, author, and actor.
For more information on TJ and his work please visit: http://www.theurbanswashbuckler.com/

Are you happy with the cover?

For the most part, yes.

If not, what would you change and why?

I wanted the female depicted to be softer, prettier. Tell us what you think is the best part of the cover.

The setting. The story is based in South Florida and I think the artist captured it beautifully. Also, some of the details the layperson would not necessarily pickup on, but my favorite is the black tape worn on the badge which signifies the mourning of a downed fellow police officer.

S.L. Connors, Author


No comments: