Thursday, July 19, 2007

Reluctant Runaway by Jill Elizabeth Nelson



Our first cover to be featured is Jill Elizabeth Nelson's Reluctant Runaway. This is what Jill has to say about her cover ---

Did your publisher design the cover?

I write romantic suspense for Multnomah Books. (Waterbrook/Multnomah is an imprint of Random House.) My publishing house has a department that designs covers. They used the same two models for the hero and heroine on each of the three covers for the To Catch a Thief series, but placed them in backgrounds unique to the individual story. The poses and parts of the cover from my debut novel, Reluctant Burglar, form the header of my web site: http://www.jillelizabethnelson.com/.

Did you get to give any input about the cover design?

Yes, I’ve always been presented with a set of designs to choose from. For my most recent release, Reluctant Runaway, I suggested a detail change to the layout, and my request was immediately implemented.
Is there an interesting story behind the cover design? If so, please share the details.

At the last minute, a few significant details were changed by my publishing house on the Reluctant Runaway cover. I love the changes because they add drama to the layout; however, the cover that’s displayed on Amazon is the earlier version.

Who is the cover artist?
Cover design is by James Hall, and the cover art and photos are by Steve Gardner of PixelWorks Studios, Inc. I’ve never met these folks, but I’d like to.

Are you happy with the cover?

I love my covers and have received lots of positive feedback from readers, but booksellers have commented that they’re too dark.

If not, what would you change and why?

I understand that my publisher plans to lighten the covers a bit when we go into second printing. That’s fine by me as long as they keep the dramatic flavor. I’m particularly jazzed about the cover for the third book in the series, Reluctant Smuggler, which releases January 2008. They have lightened the overall effect, but the spooky Mayan ruins are awesome. Unfortunately, I’m not free to share that cover yet.

Tell us what you think is the best part of the cover.

The poses of the characters. For Reluctant Burglar, the designer captured Desi in her cat burglar mode with Tony glaring that tough, savvy FBI agent look. For Reluctant Runaway (the real cover, not the one on Amazon), they’ve got each other’s backs and maintain that intensity of expression. I’m pretty fond of the motorcycle in the desert on the Runaway cover, too.

Thank you to Jill for sharing her cover with us. Will your cover be next?

Nikki Leigh
http://www.nikkileigh.com/

No comments: