Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sarah's Landing I by Elena Dorothy Bowman



Did you design the cover?

I write Science Fiction, Mystery, Romance Novels with a touch of the Paranormal for Write Words, Inc. under their imprints Cambridge Books and ebooksonthe.net. Since the Sarah's Landing Series is science fiction, my son designed this rendition of the cover, taking a Lighthouse on Cape Ann as a basis setting it against the background of deep space.

Did you give any input about the cover design?

Yes, I did. My son listened to what I asked of him, gave him a synopsis of the book so that he would know what it was about and could generate a cover that fit the story. This latest version is the third cover he has designed for Sarah's Landing-I-Contact. The first two being covers of earlier editions. But this latest one, I think, is the best. The other three covers in the series are designed in the same vein so that one could easily see they are part of a series. He is also the one who designed my banner on my website as well as the website itself. http://elenadb.home.comcast.net, or http://www.sarahslanding.com./

Is there an interesting story behind the cover design? If so, please share the details.

The interesting story about the cover of Sarah's Landing-I is that while thinking about a lighthouse as a basis for a cover, not one of the pictures I had suited me. So, I cajoled my husband into taking me to Gloucester, Massachusetts where we could take new pictures of lighthouses using a digital camera. It so happened that it was the middle of November and it was freezing out. Nevertheless, he capitulated and we went to the ocean in search of lighthouses that would fit the bill. While on the rock wall taking the pictures of the Eastern Light, the wind whipped up from the ocean and we had to hang on to each other to keep from being blown off the wall and into the cold uninviting ocean. But we got the pictures.

Who is the cover artist?

Cover design is by David P. Bowman, my youngest. On this particular cover, my husband and I are the photographers. On all the other covers in the series, David is the sole cover artist. As he is with the covers of all of my books, with two exceptions. The photo on the cover of the first book in the Legacy Series, The House Of The Bluff was one taken by me, and the photo on the cover of my novel Time-Rift was taken by my daughter,Karen, who takes marvelous photographs under the name of Car'jan.

Are you happy with the cover?

I love all my covers. I have received a lot of positive feedback from readers and from booksellers who not only love the covers, but the books themselves.

If not, what would you change and why?

Now, I wouldn't change anything. I really think the series covers are fascinating. (As are all my covers). And since I haven't had any negative feedback from my publisher, I would say she is pleased with them as well. She has said my son does good work.

Tell us what you think is the best part of the cover.

The way the lighthouse is portrayed against the background of deep space. It gives the impression that the last place on Earth is that lighthouse and above that is another dimension ready to engulf any unwary Earthling.

PS from Nikki - I have to add a quick note. The lighthouse on the cover of Elena's book is the same lighthouse that I feature in my Misty Cove Series. We have all time periods covered, mine are historic and contemporary and Elena's are futuristic :)

No comments: