Saturday, July 21, 2007

Windwalker by Donna Sundblad


We want the details about the cover for Windwalker.


Did you design the cover?


I had the concept for my cover but talked about it with my cover artist Mel Landon. She came back with a first cover draft within a few days. I was amazed. She used a touch of iridescent paint for the dragon that doesn't come out on the cover, but I was amazed that she got so much detail right in the first draft.


Did your publisher design the cover?


No


Did you get to give any input about the cover design?


It was my concept. I had a photo from a visit to New Mexico that featured a huge stone formation that made me think of the Fortress of Stone in my story. I gave that to the artist as a background, but as the cover came together that detail blurred into the background. Is there an interesting story behind the cover design? If so, please share the details. In the first draft of the cover the Augur Ojal (the woman) stood straight and beautiful. I had to explain to the artist that the woman was old and stooped and she made the change in a day.


Who is the cover artist?


My cover artist is Mel Landon. She's easy to work with and can paint just about anything you're looking for. Her specialty is seascapes and creates specialty furniture featuring birds, flowers, trees, beach scenes and she also does pet portraits.


Are you happy with the cover?


The cover turned out to be a little oranger than the original, but I am happy with it. It's easy to spot.


If not, what would you change and why? Tell us what you think is the best part of the cover.


I love the detail on the dragon, and I'm also thrilled with the way Mel created the "wind" to blend and create unity to include both characters.

No comments: