Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Blam Game


Did you design the cover? The final cover, yes. I had a certain feeling about the characters and their world.

Did your publisher design the cover? The publisher put together a sample cover using clip art and photos. That was the initial attempt and we went on from there.

Did you get to give any input about the cover design? I had total input. The publisher was generous in handing me free reign.

Is there an interesting story behind the cover design? If so, please share the details. Nothing dramatic, but I felt an emphasis should be placed on the oppressive environment; the oven-like weather of the Southwestern locale, I felt, should be represented in the introduction which is , of course, the cover. Please don't think me morbid, but I wanted to try my hand at drawing a dead man at least once.

Who is the cover artist? I did the cover art using my writing pseudonym, Jim Alexander. The publisher furnished the graphics.

Are you happy with the cover? I'd say I'm 95% satisfied with the outcome of the cover. Who wouldn't like to change their work in some small way once it's too late to do so?

If not, what would you change and why? The thing I'd change is the "Jim Alexander" scrawled in the pavement on the highway. It's entirely my fault that my publisher and I didn't get that right. He placed another "Jim Alexander" beneath the art. It appears as if I'm trying a bit too hard to make the author's name prominent through repetition, which isn't the intention at all. No, really, it isn't!

Tell us what you think is the best part of the cover? The brilliant, harsh colors and the crude (intended) form of the dead man's wingtips as he lay motionless on the highway.

Is there anything else about your cover that we need to know? Only that the pictured victim, a former government agent, sets off a greedy quest for a forgotten cache of DEA greenbacks!

Please provide your website link. My crime caper, "Blam Game" can be found at speculativefictionreview.com under the "Books" heading.

My email address is http://mail.lycos.com/hanmail/mail/MailComposeFrame.daum?TO=nburke0@lycos.com.

No comments: