Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Don't Call Me Rosie - Kathleen Thomas


Did you design the cover? Yes

Is there an interesting story behind the cover design?

The cover is a picture of my mother and two aunts (my mother is in the middle) on their way to work at the Dravo shipyard in Pittsburgh , PA. They were welders during WWII and worked on the LSTs. The picture of the LST above their photo is of LST 743 which was built in the Dravo shipyard in Pittsburgh . It is the ship in which Les Parker served on and his story is included in the same chapter in which my mother’s and aunts’ stories are told.

In 1999, Mr. Parker somehow found out about my mother and two aunts and asked them to attend the LST 743 reunion banquet being held in Pittsburgh . My mother was so pleased to attend this banquet and receive recognition from the LST 743 crew. After listening to her talk about the reunion, I decided that I would write a book about the women welders.

Who is the cover artist?

I am a majority owner in a civil engineering consulting firm. One of my employees, Sacha Barkhuff, took my vague ideas and created the cover. Both Sacha and I are civil engineers.

Are you happy with the cover? Yes

Tell us what you think is the best part of the cover. The layout of the photo of my mother and aunts with the photo of LST 743.

Website Link: http://www.thomaswright.com/LSTbookreviews.htm

Purchase Link: http://www.thomaswright.com/LSTbookorder.htm

It is also available on Amazon.

1 comment:

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

Excellent cover. Nice title, too. Best of luck with the book.

Malcolm