Sunday, October 14, 2007

I Can't Hear God Anymore: Life in a Dallas Cult by Wendy J Duncan


Did you design the cover?

I helped with the design. I knew the impact that I wanted the cover to have and I was fortunate to find a talented designer.

Is there an interesting story behind the cover design? If so, please share the details.

I was a member of a Bible-based cult, the Trinity Foundation, for seven years. As a Christian who was raised in the mainstream Southern Baptist denomination, who has earned an undergraduate degree in Sociology and a master's degree in Religious Education from one of the world’s foremost Protestant seminaries—Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary—and who has worked in the mental health field for twenty years, I should have been the last person to join a cult!

I Can't Hear God Anymore: Life in a Dallas Cult is a personal account of my experience in a religious cult. The title of the book was derived from a major confrontation with the leader of this group who was adamantly opposed to my boyfriend's desire to marry me. Although we had dated for seven years and were not young adults, we had not been able to secure the "marriage blessing." We did eventually marry which was the beginning of our realization that we were involved in a spiritually damaging and abusive cult.

Who is the cover artist?

Bruce DeRoos

Are you happy with the cover?

I love it!

Tell us what you think is the best part of the cover.

In my opinion, the cover conveys the emotion of someone who is bewildered, confused, and “can’t hear God anymore.” The destruction of one’s religious faith is the cruel outcome of cult involvement. My hope is that this book can provide spiritual healing to former members of cults and help others understand how “normal” people can get caught up in cult-like groups. This story can prevent others from falling into the grip of a religious cult, and encourage those who are involved in one to have the courage to leave. In our society, we are careful to teach and learn about sexual harassment and abuse so that lives are not ruined. Just as importantly, we must warn others of the dangers of religious abuse.

Please provide your website link.

http://www.dallascult.com

What is the link to buy your book?

Same as above.

No comments: