Thursday, December 6, 2007

Burritos and Gasoline by Jamie Beckett


Being a writer, not a graphic artist, there was no doubt that I was the wrong person to design the cover art for my debut novel, "Burritos and Gasoline." Fortunately, I’ve maintained a relationship with a very talented, award winning graphic designer I was lucky enough to work with years ago at an aviation magazine. Mark Potter is more than just a remarkable artist. He’s a good friend as well. So the process of creating a book cover with him was far simpler and significantly more enjoyable than I suspect most authors experience early in their careers.

My input toward the finished cover consisted primarily of relating the story of "Burritos and Gasoline" to Mark, who took the images I described and incorporated them into a spectacular visual representation of the story.

Mark’s use of Spanish moss hanging from an oak tree hints at the southern location where much of the story takes place. He used the image of a gas pump to imply the road trip that brings our protagonist to his final destination. Piano keys and a music staff are also featured on the cover, both hinting at the importance of music to the storyline. The piano itself actually appears in the story at a pivotal point in the plot.

I couldn’t be happier with the finished product. Which may well mean that Mark Potter will be getting a call when it’s time to create a cover for my next book.

http://jamiebeckett.com

http://www.amazon.com/Burritos-Gasoline-Novel-Jamie-Beckett/dp/0595409121

No comments: